Can Dogs Eat Acorns? (2022)

Forest walks are lovely in autumn, and acorns are found in almost every forest. The fruits of the oak are oval and turn from green to brown; some dogs like to play with acorns or even chew on them. But this is very dangerous because acorns contain a toxic substance.

This article will teach you essential tips and facts about dogs and acorns.

The most important, in brief

  • Dogs are not allowed to eat acorns; raw and immature acorns are poisonous!
  • So-called tannins make immature acorns toxic.
  • If a dog chews the shells, it can cause internal injuries.
  • Fatigue, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever are poisoning symptoms.
  • In case of signs of poisoning, one should consult a veterinarian as soon as possible.

Can dogs eat acorns?

No, dogs are not allowed to eat acorns because they are poisonous! Acorns can even be fatal for your dog.

Acorns are toxic because, on the one hand, tannins can enter the dog’s organism through chewing, which causes stomach problems. On the other hand, the shell can leave severe internal injuries and cause intestinal obstruction with fatal consequences.

How acorns affect the health of the dog

The tannin contained in acorns causes abdominal complaints in dogs. It can also happen that the skin of the acorns is deformed by chewing. The sharp edges can leave injuries in the palate, esophagus, gastric mucosa, and finally, on the intestinal wall. Acorns can also cause liver and kidney damage.

See also  Poodle German Shepherd Mix: 6 Important Details to Know

Attention: Not only the fruits of the oak are harmful to your dog, but also the leaves and bark of the oak are incompatible.

From what amount is the consumption of acorns dangerous for the dog?

Poisoning will not occur with a single glans. However, this can already cause injuries to the esophagus and stomach, and intestinal wall. Depending on your dog’s weight and health, 5 to 10 pieces of acorns can cause poisoning for a small dog with about 10 kg body weight.

What are the symptoms of eating acorns?

Symptoms vary in intensity and type depending on the number of acorns consumed. In addition, dogs with pre-existing diseases and older ones, as well as puppies, are more affected than healthy dogs. Pay attention to the following phenomena:

  • Fatigue
  • Lack of appetite
  • Fever
  • Gastrointestinal problems, such as constipation and diarrhea
  • Vomit

What to do if the dog has eaten acorns?

You should see a veterinarian if you notice that your dog may have eaten acorns. Especially if you are not sure how much your dog has consumed. If you have an intestinal obstruction, it can be fatal for your dog.

Mild poisoning is treated with medication, and surgery is performed to remove the acorns in critical cases.

Tip: Keep a close eye on your dog if there are acorns nearby, or train him to avoid eating acorns.

YouTube video

Rate this post

] }