Can Dogs Eat Grapes? (2022)

Crisp grapes taste heavenly! There is, of course, the temptation to give the dog with his irresistible dog look, one or the other grape. What’s good for us humans can’t hurt the dog, can it? But can dogs eat grapes at all? You can find the answer and other facts and tips on dogs and grapes in this guide.

The most important, in brief

  • Dogs are not allowed to eat grapes or raisins.
  • Grapes can cause kidney failure, so your dog should go to the vet quickly for good treatment if this is the case.
  • The cause of the poisoning of grapes is not fully understood
  • Fifteen grams of grapes per kilogram of body weight already cause symptoms of poisoning in most dogs.
  • The treatment methods for grape poisoning are now sophisticated so that dogs have a perfect chance of survival.

Can dogs eat grapes?

No, dogs are not allowed to eat grapes because, in the worst case, this ends fatally. It is not the case with all dogs, but there is no reason to test it. It is why grapes should not be left unattended in a dog household.

In addition to grapes, raisins should not get into the dog’s body.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes - 2022
Can Dogs Eat Grapes – 2022

How grapes affect the dog’s health

No one has found out why exactly grapes are poisonous for dogs.
In 2001, a veterinary study was published that investigated kidney failure in dogs in connection with grapes and raisins. It found that only about half of them suffered from kidney failure after eating grapes. The other 50% showed no symptoms of poisoning.

Since then, veterinarians have been researching the exact causes of grape poisoning. However, the toxin that causes kidney failure has not yet been identified. It was also impossible to determine whether a dog reacts to grapes.

From what amount is the consumption of grapes dangerous for the dog?

To date, researchers are not sure which toxin causes the health damage. As a toxic substance, a grape toxin is often called. Some research on grapes can give no exact information on the number of grapes toxic to dogs.

However, it is known that about 15 grams of grapes per kilogram of body weight can already cause poisoning symptoms.

See also  Leopard Merle Pitbull: 8 Things You Need To Know About The Leopard Merle Pitbull

If your dog weighs 20 kilograms, 200 to 600 grams of grapes are enough to poison him, so a smaller dog is more vulnerable than a large one. For a 5-kilo dog, 10 grapes are enough to cause poisoning.

Grapes should never be left unattended. You must be particularly careful in foreign households, especially if they do not have a dog.

What are the symptoms of eating grapes?

The first signs of poisoning appear a few hours after eating grapes. Symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and/or abdominal and stomach cramps are typical, and the appetite decreases significantly.

The following symptoms may occur with grape poisoning in dogs:

Symptoms of grape poisoning

  • Vomit
  • Thirst
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lethargy
  • Flatulence
  • Lack of appetite
  • reduced bladder performance
  • increased urination
  • Intestinal noise
  • Weakness
  • impaired movement coordination

After 24 hours, kidney failure may occur, and the dog can hardly leave the water, becomes lethargic, and dies. Quick help is significant, and the chances are excellent.

If the 24 hours are up and your dog has no complaints, you can carefully assume that your dog is one of those who tolerate the grapes or the amount was too small to produce a toxic effect.

What to do if the dog has eaten grapes?

If your dog has eaten grapes, you should not hesitate to go to the vet as soon as possible. Immediate help can ultimately save the life of your four-legged friend. Because in the first four hours, the chances are good that you can detoxify your dog’s gastrointestinal tract if he has not already vomited.

The veterinarian can also take blood to control kidney function. For safety reasons, dogs are usually supplied with fluids intravenously, which helps stabilize the fluid balance and kidney function.

In addition, your four-legged friend receives a remedy for nausea and diarrhea and a phosphate binder. The latter prevents the absorption of toxins in the body. In severe cases, it may be necessary to hospitalize your dog to monitor him.

But stay calm, please. The treatment methods for grape poisoning are now sophisticated so that dogs have a perfect chance of survival.

YouTube video

Rate this post

] }