Can Dogs Eat Walnuts? (2022)

The walnut is a real all-rounder and provides people with about 90 nutrients. So the nuts not only taste good but also have a positive effect on human health, but does the same also apply to dogs? Is the consumption of walnuts good for our loyal friends?

You can find the answer and other interesting facts and tips in this article.

The most important, in brief

  • Dogs should not eat walnuts, as they are often infected with a toxic fungus.
  • Consumption of affected walnuts can cause death in dogs, even in small quantities.
  • With slight walnut poisoning, your dog may fall or trip.
  • Severe walnut poisoning leads to vomiting, trembling, and epilepsy-like cramps.
  • If your four-legged friend has eaten walnuts, you should immediately consult a veterinarian.

Can dogs eat walnuts?

It’s better not to feed your dog walnuts; even if the nuts are healthy, they can damage dogs. Remarkably fresh or immature walnuts are often affected by a mold that acts like a poison in the four-legged friends. This fungus is not visible to the human eye, so you should refrain from feeding walnuts.

In the worst case, consuming walnuts for dogs can be fatal.

Even when playing, severe poisoning can occur.

How walnuts affect dog health

The mold Penicillium has the active ingredient Roquefortin C, which is comparable to strychnine, and it disturbs your dog’s nervous system with its neurotoxic effect.

More specifically, it causes hyperexcitation of the nerves in the spinal cord. It, in turn, leads to a stiffening of the muscles, usually accompanied by shortness of breath. Therefore, even playing with an infected walnut can lead to death.

See also  Rare Pitbull Colors - 6 Facts You Need To Know About Rare Pitbull Colors

Note: The fungus is often found in fatty foods, such as mold cheese.

From what amount is the consumption of walnuts dangerous for the dog?

Already from 4 walnuts, a dog weighing about 15 kilograms can show poisoning symptoms. Even small amounts can kill the four-legged friend.

What are the symptoms of eating walnuts?

Symptoms depend on the severity of the poisoning. Its movements are impaired if the dog is only slightly poisoned with mold poison and tends to stumble or fall.

It has also been observed that your dog no longer wants to be touched by you. In the case of severe poisoning, it can cause twitching, trembling, cramping, or vomiting; in extreme cases, the poison can even kill your dog.

What to do if the dog has eaten walnuts?

If you notice something wrong after your dog has consumed walnuts, you should visit a veterinarian as soon as possible and explain the situation to him. They can then analyze your dog’s blood levels using a darkfield microscope and determine whether the poisoning affects their blood count. For this, the doctor can create a suitable therapy plan.

Your dog should urgently keep his paws off the nuts if you want to save yourself a visit to the vet.

You should perform intestinal detoxification on your dog for mild poisoning, and in severe cases, it helps to mix cold-pressed grape seed oil into your dog’s food. It is rich in natural antioxidants that help protect your dog’s health.

YouTube video

 

Rate this post

] }